Cantancio clips Chinese opponent in China Open

Filipino boxer Junel Cantancio nailed a unanimous decision victory over Chinese Wang Bo to reach the men’s lightweight finals of the 2013 China Open International Boxing Tournament being held at the Gui-zhou Gymnasium in Guiyang, China.

The 27-year-old Cantancio got the nod of the three judges – who all scored 30-27.

London Olympian Mark Anthony Barriga, however, got the boot following a 28-29, 27-30, 28-29 loss to Guiyang native Wu Zhonglin in the light-flyweight category. Nonetheless, Barriga earned a bronze medal for reaching the semifinals.

“They need to know how to adjust their game to the system. We had a lengthy meeting after the fights this afternoon with the coaches and boxers to explain to them in more detail what they need to do to take advantage of the new rule,” said Association of Boxing Alliances of the Philippines executive director Ed Picson.

The tournament sanctioned by the International Boxing Association, is using a format similar to the professional level with three judges, scoring 10 points in each round.

In the women’s division, World Championships gold medalist Josie Gabuco underscored
her readiness as she fights for gold in the flyweight category against Chinese Xu Shiqi.

Gabuco holds a 1-0 head-to-head edge against Xu—the same boxer she defeated in the finals of the World Championships held in Qinhuangdao, China last year.

“I know she is out to avenge that loss, so I’m prepared for her,” stressed Gabuco, who stunned London Olympics silver medalist and three-time world champion Ren Cancan in the semifinals.

Lightweight Nesthy Petecio also shoots for gold against New Zealand’s Alexis Pritchard, who is six inches taller than the Filipina fighter.

“I’m used to fighting girls that tall,” said Petecio.

Emil C. Noguera

Read more :
  • Didier Drogba dropped from Ivory Coast squad
    Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was left out of Cote d'Ivoire's squad for football World Cup qualifier against Gambia on Saturday. Drogba disappointed coach Sabri Lamouchi after the q...
  • Nadal suffers shock first round loss in London
    Rafael Nadal AFP PHOTO LONDON: Rafael Nadal suffered Wimbledon humiliation at the hands of Belgian world No.135 Steve Darcis on Monday (Tuesday evening in Manila), a shock first round defe...
  • Bernard Tomic plays down father rift
    What do you think : Bernard Tomic has insisted that his father is the right man to coach him after their on-court spat. The Australian appeared to fall out with his dad John duri...