Carles Puyol’s season at risk following surgery

Barcelona defender Carles Puyol could miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on an ongoing knee problem, club doctors confirmed on Saturday.



Puyol finally had the surgery on Friday evening after suffering with the problem for seven months since being taken off injured in a match against Getafe back in September.



“The time he will be out is dependent on him. It could be six weeks, two or three months,” said Doctor Ramon Cugat in a statement on the club’s website.



Puyol also had knee surgery last May which kept him out of the European Championships and although Cugat insisted the operation this time round wasn’t as serious as it was then, another of the club’s doctors, Ricard Pruna, said they needed to find a solution to the problem as soon as possible.



“The moment arrived when he couldn’t play any more with these problems. By operating now and taking advantage of the international break, there is a chance he could be back in time for the end of the season, so we decided to do it just now.



“If we hadn’t intervened now, there would have been the chance of aggravating the problem. The end of the season was approaching and we needed to find a solution so this was the best option.”



Pruna also spoke about the ongoing injury problems being suffered by Xavi Hernandez.



The midfielder returned from a hamstring injury for the match against AC Milan in midweek but has been ruled out Sunday’s visit of Rayo Vallecano after aggravating the problem.



“It worries us that there is an injury in the thigh that is dragging on,” said Pruna.



“The consequences after the Milan match were minimal but it is not an injury that is cured.”



Despite his injury, Xavi was called into the Spain squad yesterday for the matches against Finland and France later in the month, but Pruna insisted contact had been made with the Spanish football federation and that the 33-year-old would not play if he is not fit.



“We have spoken with the doctors of the national team and they have told us they will look after him and decide what is the best thing to do.”

Read more :
  • Azarenka rocks past Vesnina to beat of new song
    MELBOURNE - An unreleased track by American DJ GoonRock helped Victoria Azarenka get back to her ruthless best at the Australian Open on Monday, the defending champion dispatching Elensa Ve...
  • Bernard Tomic plays down father rift
    What do you think : Bernard Tomic has insisted that his father is the right man to coach him after their on-court spat. The Australian appeared to fall out with his dad John duri...
  • Cuello challenges Zhong for WBC belt
    Denver “The Excitement” Cuello CONTRIBUTED PHOTO FILIPINO pug Denver “The Excitement” Cuello will challenge World Boxing Council (WBC) minimum weight champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China on ...
  • Italy attack-minded for Malta match
    Fresh off a rousing comeback against Brazil in a friendly, Cesare Prandelli's Italy side face a trip to Malta on Tuesday as they look to extend their lead over Bulgaria in Group B and move ...
  • Federer skips Switzerland’s Davis Cup opener
    LONDON - Davis Cup champions the Czech Republic will not have to worry about facing Roger Federer in the opening round of their defense after he was left out of Switzerland's team for the G...
  • Rafael Nadal makes Madrid Open threat
    Rafael Nadal has reportedly threatened to pull out of next year's Madrid Open if the clay courts remain blue following his shock defeat to Fernando Verdasco. The Spaniard went down in thre...
  • Venky’s-owned Blackburn sack third manager of the season
    Blackburn Rovers have sacked manager Michael Appleton after just over two months in charge, the Indian-owned English second-tier club announced on Tuesday. Appleton becomes the third manag...
  • Rafael Nadal: Players want more freedom
    Rafael Nadal has claimed that tennis players want more freedom to choose which tournaments they play in. The 25-year-old is part of a group of players, including Andy Murray, who are set t...