Federer skips Switzerland’s Davis Cup opener

LONDON – Davis Cup champions the Czech Republic will not have to worry about facing Roger Federer in the opening round of their defense after he was left out of Switzerland’s team for the Geneva tie.

The 17-times grand slam champion, still contesting the Australian Open where he will face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the last eight on Wednesday, played twice for his country last year but has decided to sit it out the Czech clash.

Tomas Berdych will spearhead the Czech challenge in the tie taking place from February 1-3.

Other notable absentees from first-round action are Juan Martin del Potro, who was not named in Argentina’s team to play Germany in Buenos Aires, and Australian Open semi-finalist David Ferrer, who is not in Spain’s squad to play in Canada.

Former U.S. Open champion Del Potro said last month that he would not be playing Davis Cup this year.

“The decision was not easy – but I have important goals on the circuit,” the injury-prone Del Potro said.

In the absence of Ferrer and Rafa Nadal, who has yet to return to competitive action after a long-term knee injury, Nicolas Almagro will shoulder the main singles responsibility for the top-seeded Spaniards.

Feliciano Lopez returns to the team as the number two singles player, with Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez, who are through to the Australian Open last four, playing the doubles.

“We are starting a new year in the Davis Cup with the excitement you get from playing for Spain in the top international competition,” Spain captain Alex Corretja told a news conference.

“We know it’s a very tough tie but I have every confidence in this team and their commitment to provide yet more satisfaction for the Spanish fans,” he added.

World number one Novak Djokovic was named in Serbia’s squad to face Belgium in Charleroi, although his participation may depend on how much his bid for a third consecutive Australian Open title takes out of him.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman and Iain Rogers, editing by Ed Osmond)

Read more :
  • Juanma’s dilemma
    It is safe to say that the devastating fourth round knockout loss Puerto Rican boxing superstar Juan Manuel (popularly known as “Juan­ma”) Lopez recently suffered against Ame­rican Miguel A...
  • Michael Owen ponders move into management
    Michael Owen is contemplating a move into management or coaching when he retires from football at the end of the season. The 33-year-old Stoke and ex-England striker said Tuesday he will c...
  • New boxing talents abound in N. Cotabato
    Boxer Rolando Magbanua of Pigcawayan CONTRIBUTED PHOTO Even in the din of the celebration following Edrin “The Sting” Dapudong’s historic feat of winning North Cotabato’s first world boxin...
  • Bibat fends off rivals, nails maiden win
    Michael Bibat ended a five-year long search for a breakthrough victory, fending off a slew of rivals in a wild, woolly finale to nail the ICTSI Rancho Palos Verdes crown with a two-under 69...
  • Ardina storms to five-shot lead
    Dottie Ardina turned a three-stroke deficit off Lovelynn Guioguio into a whopping five-shot lead over Chihiro Ikeda as she shot a brilliant six-under 66 to move closer to a second straight ...
  • EPL collated: Everton shatter City hopes, Arsenal sniff Chelsea with Swansea win
    Ten-man Everton all but ended Manchester City's title defence with a gritty and controversial 2-0 win over the Premier League champions at Goodison Park on Saturday. Everton survived the d...
  • Police probe after coins thrown at Lampard, Terry
    Police launched an investigation on Sunday after coins were thrown at Frank Lampard and John Terry during Chelsea's 2-0 win over West Ham at Stamford Bridge. Lampard, a former West Ham pla...
  • FIFA backs Brazil despite 2014 World Cup delays
    World football governing body FIFA has backed Brazil to have its 2014 World Cup stadiums and infrastructure ready in time despite construction delays. Only two venues are so far ready for ...