Indian football team fails to qualify for AFC Challenge Cup

India failed to qualify for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup on Tuesday after they were pipped by Bangladesh and Turkemenistan for a spot in the the continent’s second tier tournament meant for emerging football nations.

India, the 2008 champions, had finished second behind Myanmar in Group A qualifying round of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup earlier this month and their fate had remained hanging on the results of other groups.

Wim Koevermans’ men were edged out by Bangladesh and Turkemenistan on goal difference after all the three sides finished second in their respective groups.

Turkemistan and Bangladesh had goal differences of plus nine and plus five respectively and they made it to the final round of 2014 AFC Challenge Cup in Maldives as two best second-placed teams.

India could only manage a goal difference of plus four. They had beaten Chinese Taipei and Guam but had lost 0-1 to hosts Myanmar at Yangon earlier this month.

The qualifying round of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup was divided into five groups and each group matches were played in a centralised venue. The five group toppers and two best second-place teams will join hosts Maldives in the final round next year.

Under tournament rules, the second-place team will be decided first by the number of points, followed by the goal difference.

India took part in the 2011 Asian Cup in Doha, Qatar, on the basis of winning the 2018 AFC Challenge Cup at home. It will be a huge setback for the country which is aiming to raise its football profile as it failed to play even in the second tier competition, not to speak of the top tier.

India had also done miserably in the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup and now it has failed to even qualify for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup. The winners of 2012 and 2014 AFC Challenge Cup would be given automatic berths in the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia.

Now, India has no chance to play in the 2015 Asian Cup as its low FIFA ranking among Asian countries also meant that it cannot play in the qualifying round which has started earlier this month.

Read more :
  • Balotelli levels as Italy draw 2-2 against Brazil in friendly
    Daniele De Rossi sparked Italy's fightback and Mario Balotelli scored a superb second-half equaliser as the Azzurri battled to a 2-2 draw against Brazil in a friendly on Thursday. Luiz Fel...
  • Rafael Nadal plans lengthy absence
    Rafael Nadal has said that he will take a several-week absence from tennis after the Australian Open to rest and practise. The world number two will take the time off in February to recove...
  • David Beckham to take up China role next week
    Football superstar David Beckham will begin his highly-anticipated role as ambassador for the Chinese Super League next week, with domestic media saying on Friday he will visit three cities...
  • Roger Federer eyes London gold
    World number three Roger Federer has set his sights on winning Olympic gold at next year's London games. The 30-year-old Swiss triumphed in the English capital yesterday by winning the ATP...
  • Michael Owen ponders move into management
    Michael Owen is contemplating a move into management or coaching when he retires from football at the end of the season. The 33-year-old Stoke and ex-England striker said Tuesday he will c...
  • Two Filipinos advance in Ultimate 10-Ball tourney
    Former world champion Alex Pagulayan and Carlo Biado advanced to the fourth round of the Ultimate 10-Ball Championships being held at the Harrah’s Resort in Tunica, Mississippi. Pagulayan ...
  • Messi, Villa combine to sink Rayo Vallecano
    David Villa expressed his delight at returning to top form as he scored and set-up two goals for Lionel Messi as Barcelona beat Rayo Vallecano 3-1 to restore their 13-point lead at the top ...
  • David Ferrer beats wildcard Nicolas Mahut to reach third round
    David Ferrer has defeated wildcard Nicolas Mahut in straight sets to claim a spot in the third round of the Paris Masters. The Spaniard claimed a 6-4 6-4 win over Mahut to progress to the ...