Injured Tiger will not defend title at National

Tiger Woods. AFP Photo

BETHESDA, Maryland: World No. 1 Tiger Woods will not defend his title next week at the US PGA National because of a strained left elbow after doctors advised him to rest before next month’s British Open.

Woods announced his withdrawal from the event, which his foundation runs and uses as a charity benefit event, on his website

on Wednesday.

“I have been advised to take a few weeks off, rest and undergo treatment,” Woods said. “I’ll be ready to go for the British Open and I’m looking forward to playing at Muirfield.”

The US PGA tournament, one of the last major US tune-ups for the British Open, runs June 27 to 30 at Congressional Country Club in suburban Washington.

Woods, whose 14 major titles are four shy of the record 18 won by Jack Nicklaus, injured the elbow last month on his way to victory at the Players Championship, although that was not common knowledge until last week’s US Open.

Woods aggravated the injury last week blasting out of the dense rough at Merion and played through pain on the way to a share of 32nd place at 13-over par 293 total, his worst 72-hole professional US Open score relative to par.

“I was examined after I returned home from the US Open and the doctors determined I have a left elbow strain,” Woods said.

The 37-year-old American has won four times this year, giving him 78 career titles, only four shy of matching the all-time PGA triumphs record set by the late Sam Snead.

Woods expressed regrets to sponsors and fans for not playing but said he will attend the tournament.

“It’s especially difficult not defending at my own tournament,” he said. “It’s going to be a great event and I look forward to being there to provide my support.”

AFP

Read more :
  • Chappell falls short after flirting with a 59
    LA QUINTA, California - Unheralded American Kevin Chappell briefly raised hopes of shooting a magical 59 before he signed off with a sizzling 10-under-par 62 in the final round of the Human...
  • Venus Williams plans comeback
    Venus Williams has revealed that she hopes to play a full schedule next year following a serious illness. The former world number one pulled out of this year's US Open with an autoimmune d...
  • UEFA Champions League: Carlo Ancelotti confident of Barcelona upset
    Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti is relishing the challenge of facing Champions League favourites Barcelona in the quarter-finals and believes his expensively assembled side are ca...
  • Murray shoots down weary Simon to reach last eight
    MELBOURNE - Andy Murray made harder work of it than many expected but still eased comfortably into the quarter-finals of the Australian Open with a 6-3 6-1 6-3 victory over weary Frenchman ...
  • Rafael Nadal hails “unbelievable” Andy Murray
    Rafael Nadal had no complaints following his loss to Andy Murray in the Japanese Open final earlier today. The Spaniard appeared to be on his way to victory when he took the first set 6-3 ...
  • Playoff loss keeps Howell out of Masters
    LA QUINTA, California - Charles Howell III had bitter-sweet feelings after failing to secure a place at this year's U.S. Masters when he lost out to fellow American Brian Gay in a three-way...
  • United SC pip East Bengal for maiden IFA Shield triumph
    United SC rode on Ranty Martins' second-half strike to pip defending champions East Bengal and break their 14-match unbeaten run for their maiden IFA Shield title in Kolkata on Wednesday. ...
  • Azarenka rocks past Vesnina to beat of new song
    MELBOURNE - An unreleased track by American DJ GoonRock helped Victoria Azarenka get back to her ruthless best at the Australian Open on Monday, the defending champion dispatching Elensa Ve...