Jose Mourinho reiterates FIFA ‘coach of the year’ award ‘fix’ claim

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho reiterated on Saturday his claim that he and not Spain handler Vicente Del Bosque was the rightful recipient of FIFA’s 2012 World Coach of the Year award.



Mourinho this week alleged that del Bosque picked up the honour at a ceremony in Zurich in January only after “irregularities” when people who had voted for him had their votes changed.



He raised the issue again at a press conference in Setubal where he praised Macedonia captain Goran Pandev for publicly backing his contested version of events.



“I would simply like to thank one of numerous others who phoned me to warn me (of vote rigging), because it’s not easy.



“This person who had the honour and the strength to publicly assume when others requested anonymity,” Mourinho added, confirming to reporters he was referring to and praising “the captain of the Macedonia national team”.



On Thursday Pandev had added weight to Mourinho’s allegation when he told Spanish television channel La Sexta he had voted for the Real boss only for his vote to be changed for Del Bosque.



Del Bosque, who has dismissed as “childish” Mourinho’s version of events, took the award with 35% of the vote from international players, managers and journalists compared to 20% for his outspoken Portuguese rival.



On Friday FIFA published on its website the offical voting list with Pandev’s vote going to Del Bosque, although the Macedonian subsequently insisted on Italian website Calciomercato.com that the signature did not belong to him.



The 50-year-old former Chelsea boss said he didn’t attend the gala event in Zurich due to what he believed to be irregularities in the vote.



“I don’t regret not attending the event in person,” Mourinho told Portuguese TV station RTP.



“One, two or three people called me to say they had voted for me and in the end another name appeared in their votes. Therefore I decided not to go.”

Read more :
  • UPHSD Altas commences NCAA campaign
    LAST year’s semifinalist University of Perpetual Help System DALTA Altas will start their campaign in the 89th National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball tournament when the...
  • Alex Ferguson may face UEFA ban
    Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson may face a touchline ban from UEFA for refusing to attend a post-match press conference after the Red Devils were knocked out of the Champions League...
  • Sports Mole’s WAG of the week: Caroline Wozniacki
    Age: 21 Occupation: Tennis player WAG of: Rory McIlroy, number one golfer WAG since: 2011 At the age of just 22, Irishman Rory McIlroy built upon his successful 2011 by becoming the numb...
  • Rafael Nadal pleased with “fantastic” result
    Rafael Nadal has praised his performance that resulted in him reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open. The Spaniard stormed to a straight-sets victory over Lukas Lacko in Melbourn...
  • Former NBA star Stephon Marbury to visit Manila
    Add former NBA-All Star guard Stephon Marbury to the list of big-named basketball personalities who will set foot on Philippine soil this year. Marbury, who now plays for the Beijing Ducks...
  • Azarenka rocks past Vesnina to beat of new song
    MELBOURNE - An unreleased track by American DJ GoonRock helped Victoria Azarenka get back to her ruthless best at the Australian Open on Monday, the defending champion dispatching Elensa Ve...
  • Michael Owen ponders move into management
    Michael Owen is contemplating a move into management or coaching when he retires from football at the end of the season. The 33-year-old Stoke and ex-England striker said Tuesday he will c...
  • Churchill Brothers go top of I-League table after demolishing Air India
    Churchill Brothers Sports Club raced to the top of the I-League ladder with a 3-0 demolition of Air India at the Duler Stadium in Mapusa, Goa on Tuesday. Brazilian midfielder Roberto Mende...