Patriots fall flat against Super Bowl-bound Ravens

FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts – The New England Patriots tasted defeat for the first time at home when a Super Bowl berth was on the line and had no excuses after the 28-13 thumping at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens.

The Patriots entered Sunday’s title game with an imposing 7-1 record in conference championship tilts, including a 4-0 mark at home but came up short.

“Obviously a disappointing end to an overall pretty positive season,” said New England coach Bill Belichick, whose team won the AFC East title with a 12-4 record. “Tonight we just didn’t do enough things well enough to win. Give the Ravens credit.

“I don’t think anything was really as good as it needed to be tonight. (We) gave up too many points, didn’t score enough. I’d say we probably came up a little short in every area.”

Baltimore turned the tables on the Patriots, who led 13-7 at halftime before a 21-0 second-half whitewashing silenced the Gillette Stadium home crowd.

“I think we obviously didn’t play very well and if you don’t play very well against a good team, it’s not even very competitive,” Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said.

“It’s unfortunate. We just couldn’t make any critical plays when we needed to,”

Brady achieved a personal milestone as his 320 yards passing moved him past Brett Favre into first place on the NFL’s all-time list for passing yarding in the postseason, with 5,949.

“We just couldn’t string enough good plays together to get the ball in the end zone,” added Brady, who had to stitch together short passing plays given a lack of deep threats with dangerous tight end Rob Gronkowski out with broken forearm.

“They’re a good defense and they kept the pressure on and we just didn’t really stand up to the challenge.”

“We felt pretty good about where we were at halftime, but we just didn’t come out in the second half and execute very well,” said Brady, who threw a pair of second-half interceptions and whose running back Stevan Ridley lost a fumble.

New England defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, a five-time Pro Bowler, tried to be philosophical in defeat, but his burning competitiveness shone through.

“Somebody has to win and lose,” Wilfork said. “Tonight we just didn’t make enough plays. They made more plays than we did.

“It’s very disappointing, but we have a hell of a team. We know what it takes to win,” added the beefy defensive lineman, whose team had reached five of the previous 11 Super Bowls.

“We’re going to fight our tails off in the offseason. We’re going to get back to playing the way we want to play. We’ll be back here.”

(Reporting by Larry Fine, Editing by Julian Linden)

Read more :
  • Costa Rica ask FIFA for replay of US match
    Costa Rica have asked soccer's governing body for a replay of Friday's World Cup qualifier against the United States, won 1-0 by the Americans during a snowstorm in Commerce City, Colorado....
  • Bhaichung Bhutia appointed AIFF technical committee chief
    Former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia has been appointed as the chairman of the All India Football Federation's technical committee, marking his foray into football administration. Bhutia ...
  • Petecio wins gold in 2013 China Open
    Nesthy Petecio (left) and Josie Gabuco NESTHY Petecio scored a unanimous win over New Zealand’s Alexis Pritchard to claim the women’s lightweight gold medal in the 2013 China Open Internat...
  • UEFA Champions League quarter-final draws announced, Barcelona to take on PSG
    Champions League favourites Barcelona will play big-spending Paris Saint-Germain in the pick of the quarter-final matches after the draw was held in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday. Last year'...
  • Iron man Djokovic into Australian Open semis
    MELBOURNE - Novak Djokovic must have been relieved to have given his weary legs a relatively quick workout on Tuesday with 6-1 4-6 6-1 6-4 victory against Czech fifth seed Tomas Berdych in ...
  • Anne Keothavong targets Olympic Games
    Great Britain's number two Anne Keothavong has set herself the target of qualifying for the Olympic Games in London next year. The 28-year-old is currently ranked number 72 in the world bu...
  • Azarenka reasserts authority to ease into quarters
    MELBOURNE - Victoria Azarenka was back to her ruthless best as the defending champion advanced to the Australian Open quarter-finals with a 6-1 6-1 demolition of Russia's Elena Vesnina in l...
  • Rafael Nadal makes Madrid Open threat
    Rafael Nadal has reportedly threatened to pull out of next year's Madrid Open if the clay courts remain blue following his shock defeat to Fernando Verdasco. The Spaniard went down in thre...