Real Madrid to sue doctor over debt claim

Real Madrid are planning to sue Eufemiano Fuentes, the Spanish doctor at the centre of a blood doping scandal who claims the Spanish football giants owe him money.

In a statement released late Friday the club stated: “Facing the attempt by Fuentes to mislead, clearly with bad intention, public opinion regarding the nature of his relationship with the club Real Madrid are going to take immediate legal action against Fuentes.”

Fuentes is currently on trial in Madrid on charges of endangering public health by performing blood transfusions on a number of high-profile cyclists.

On Friday, as the penultimate day of his trial closed, he told waiting journalists that he was looking for money owed to him by the nine-time European champions.

“I am interested in receiving the debt Real Madrid have with me and is nearly due to be paid,” he told National Spanish Radio.

Fuentes’ lawyer Tomas Valdivielso added that “Real Madrid have a debt with Eufemiano Fuentes from 2007, 2008 or 2009, I don’t remember which.”

Real claim that if any debt existed, it had nothing to do with Fuentes providing any medical service to their players, but instead related to his role as a witness for Real in a court case the club took against French newspaper Le Monde in 2006.

Real explained: “In the action brought by Real Madrid against Le Monde, the club did ask Fuentes to act as a witness…against the false information published by the paper suggesting a contract existed between Fuentes and the club to treat players.

“He has always denied that he had any relation with the club.”

The 2006 court case ruled in favour of the club because Fuentes was the source of the story who it found to be of “dubious credibility” with Le Monde ordered to pay 300,000 euros damages to Real Madrid.

Real’s statement concluded by revealing that they had recently received a bill for expenses from Fuentes’ lawyer, Tomas Valdivielso – the matter is due to be settled by a tribunal.

Read more :
  • Rafael Nadal makes Madrid Open threat
    Rafael Nadal has reportedly threatened to pull out of next year's Madrid Open if the clay courts remain blue following his shock defeat to Fernando Verdasco. The Spaniard went down in thre...
  • Anne Keothavong targets Olympic Games
    Great Britain's number two Anne Keothavong has set herself the target of qualifying for the Olympic Games in London next year. The 28-year-old is currently ranked number 72 in the world bu...
  • I-League: Mohun Bagan pip Pailan Arrows 3-2
    Mohun Bagan managed to pulled off a narrow 3-2 win over a resurgent Pailan Arrows in a closely-contested round 21 I-League fixture in Kalyani on Sunday The relegation-wary Mohun Bagan took...
  • UPHSD Altas commences NCAA campaign
    LAST year’s semifinalist University of Perpetual Help System DALTA Altas will start their campaign in the 89th National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) basketball tournament when the...
  • Jo-Wilfried Tsonga slams Miami umpire
    Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has accused an umpire of favouring Rafael Nadal during the pair's Sony Ericsson quarter-final in Miami. The Frenchman was defeated by Nadal in three sets but he believes...
  • ROSE VICTORY INSPIRES ENGLISH GOLFERS
    ARDMORE, Pennsylvania: Justin Rose’s breakthrough win at the US Open could open the door for England’s golden generation of golfers to finally make their collective mark in the record books...
  • Deadly Djokovic batters Berdych to reach semis
    MELBOURNE - Serbian superman Novak Djokovic remained firmly on course for a third straight Australian Open title on Tuesday after dismantling Tomas Berdych in four sets to set up a last fou...
  • I’m not finished – Federer
    Roger Federer AFP PHOTO LONDON: Roger Federer insisted he will play on for many more years to come despite crashing out of Wimbledon in a shock defeat that brought his extraordinary Grand ...