Watson, DeLaet, Hoffman share PGA Travelers lead

CROMWELL, Connecticut: Bubba Watson, winless since taking last year’s Masters, struggled to a level par 70 Saturday (Sunday in Manila) to fall into a three-way tie for the lead at the $6.1 million US PGA Travelers Championship.

Watson, the 2010 Travelers champion and last year’s runner-up, finished 54 holes on 10-under par 200 to stand level with Canada’s Graham DeLaet, who fired the day’s low round of 65, and fellow American Charley Hoffman, who shot a 66.

“I hit some shots that were really good, some quality shots. I got a couple bad breaks too, but that’s golf,” Watson said. “I still have a shot on Sunday and that’s what we’re looking for when we’re playing.”

Australian Nick O’Hern and American Chris Stroud were one stroke off the pace with American Ken Duke on 202 and seven others, including new US Open champion Justin Rose of England, on 203.

Watson started strong, dropping a 93-yard approach shot inches from the cup for a birdie at the second hole and sinking a 32-foot putt from just off the green for a birdie at the third. He added another birdie at the par-5 sixth.

But Watson struggled on the back nine with bogeys at the par-5 13th and par-4 15th.

At the par-4 17th, Watson was bothered on the tee by spectator conversation and found a bunker. His second shot hooked just over a water hazard, hit a rake and landed in a greenside bunker. His third shot was just off the green and he came up short on an 18-foot par putt.

Asked how he would handle squandering sole possession of the lead, Watson said: “I take it with pleasure. I’ve got a chance to win.”

DeLaet birdied the par-4 second and began the back nine with four birdies in a row, the last at the par-5 13th after dropping his approach six feet from the pin. DeLaet also answered a bogey at the par-3 16th by closing with a 15-foot birdie putt at the 18th.

Hoffman opened the front and back nine with birdies and added others at the fourth, sixth and 14th holes. His lone bogey came at the par-4 12th.

Read more :
  • Juanma’s dilemma
    It is safe to say that the devastating fourth round knockout loss Puerto Rican boxing superstar Juan Manuel (popularly known as “Juan­ma”) Lopez recently suffered against Ame­rican Miguel A...
  • Federer faces historic Wimbledon bid
    Roger Federer AFP PHOTO PARIS: Ten years after Roger Federer made his Grand Slam breakthrough at Wimbledon, the 17-time major winner returns to the All England Club next week as defending ...
  • Ferguson fined, Nani banned after Madrid loss
    Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was fined €10,000 ($13,000) by UEFA on Friday for failing to fulfill his post-match media duties after a Champions League match against Real Madrid. ...
  • Andy Roddick “fine” with dropping down US pecking order
    Andy Roddick has said that he is only focused on getting fit again and not on winning Wimbledon. The 2003 US Open champion was forced to retire from his Australian Open third-round clash w...
  • Azarenka reasserts authority to ease into quarters
    MELBOURNE - Victoria Azarenka was back to her ruthless best as the defending champion advanced to the Australian Open quarter-finals with a 6-1 6-1 demolition of Russia's Elena Vesnina in l...
  • Tottenham fury over Inter ‘monkey chants’
    Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has demanded UEFA take action against Inter Milan after claiming Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor was subject to "monkey chants" during Thursday's Europa Leag...
  • Italian international Cassano names son after Lionel Messi
    Antonio Cassano has named his newborn son after "the greatest player of all time", namely Lionel Messi, according to the Inter Milan striker. Cassano's wife Carolina gave birth to t...
  • Xavi ‘will not be forced to play’, says Del Bosque
    Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque on Monday said that Xavi Hernandez will only play against France in Tuesday's World Cup qualifier if he feels ready to do so. The Barcelona midfielder, such ...