West Ham United to take over London’s Olympic stadium

English Premier League football club West Ham United are to become the main tenants of London’s Olympic Stadium, it was announced on Friday.

The 80,000 capacity stadium in east London, which hosted the athletics and the ceremonies at last year’s Olympics and Paralympics, will be converted to a 54,000-seater venue in time for the 2016-2017 football season.

The long-term future of the ?429 million ($648-million, 503-million-euro) venue in Stratford was supposed to have been decided before the Games but a series of legal challenges delayed the process.

The deal was secured only after West Ham agreed to increase their own funding of the project by ?5 million, to ?15 million. They will pay around ?2 million a year rent.

“It’s fantastic for everyone at West Ham United that at last all the club’s hard work over the past three years has paid off,” the club’s joint chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold said.

London Mayor Boris Johnson described the announcement as a “truly momentous milestone” and said the deal would defy “the gloomsters who predicted this landmark would become a dusty relic.”

The stadium will have retractable seats around the pitch, which will allow the 2017 World Athletics Championships to take place there as planned.

The deal also opens the way for the stadium to be used as a venue for the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup.

But the fact that the final agreement will see the government contributing an additional ?25 million towards the ?150 million cost of converting the venue has sparked criticism.

Former sports minister Richard Caborn described the deal to lease the stadium to West Ham as “the biggest mistake of the London Olympics”.

Caborn said he had suggested that retractable seating should have been built into the stadium’s original design and adding it now meant extra cost had been added.

“Time and again mistakes are made with Olympic Stadiums and the lessons should be learned for any future similar projects,” Caborn, from the opposition Labour Party, said.

The stadium has not been used since the Paralympics last year but is due to host a strong of rock concerts in July, as well as an international athletics meeting on 26-28 July to mark the one-year anniversary of the start of the Olympics.

The Olympic Park is currently closed while it is adapted with the addition of new homes and schools and public parkland.

It is set to open in phases from July and is scheduled to be fully open by early 2014.

Read more :
  • DepEd to send 115 entries to Asean Schools Games
    THE Department of Education (DepEd) on Friday announced it will send 115 Filipino athletes that won gold, silver, and bronze medals in the 2013 Palarong Pambansa to the 5th Association of S...
  • Pune FC retains Under-20 I-League title
    Two brilliant goals scored by defender Henry Monsang in each half helped defending champions Pune FC retain the U-20 I-League title as they outplayed East Bengal 3-0. Meanwhile, Tata Footba...
  • Refreshed Kuznetsova back in the big time
    MELBOURNE - Svetlana Kuznetsova, refreshed but unseeded and unheralded after being sidelined for half of 2012, announced her return to the big time in some style on Monday with a win over C...
  • Djokovic dream still alive after Wawrinka test
    MELBOURNE - Novak Djokovic survived an almighty scare from an inspired Stan Wawrinka in a five-hour, five-set thriller at the Australian Open on Sunday, reaching a 15th consecutive grand sl...
  • Van der Vaart aims to make difference for Netherlands
    Rafael van der Vaart says you need a mixture of experience and youth at the World Cup and the veteran midfielder can underscore his credentials to play in Brazil when the Netherlands take o...
  • Montenegro put faith in ‘Ferrari’ strike duo
    When England captain Steven Gerrard opined that Montenegro "have got certain individuals in the world-class category", he did not have to name names. Marko Basa, of French club Lille, is a...
  • Azarenka reasserts authority to ease into quarters
    MELBOURNE - Victoria Azarenka was back to her ruthless best as the defending champion advanced to the Australian Open quarter-finals with a 6-1 6-1 demolition of Russia's Elena Vesnina in l...
  • Lady boxers Gabuco, Petecio enter China Open finals
    Veteran female boxers Josie Gabuco and Nesthy Petecio stunned their respective Chinese opponents to reach the finals of the 2013 China Open International Boxing Tournament being held at the...